As we celebrate Olympic Day here at the U.S. Center for SafeSport, we’re proud to be working toward an important goal: championing respect and ending abuse across and beyond the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movement. That Movement is bigger than you might think. It includes not only elite athletes chasing gold on the world stage, but also 11 million members in over 50 Olympic and Paralympic sports.
Test your Olympic and Paralympic savvy today with this Name That Sport quiz!
1. Name two sports in which you chase a “birdie.”
2. No matter how fast you ski, you’ll need to shoot straight to win in this sport.
C Field Hockey
3. If you like lying on your back (and who doesn’t?), this sliding sport is for you.
4. Sweeping may seem like a chore—but for these athletes, it’s a way to keep the stones in the “house.”
B Greco-Roman Wrestling
5. Of all the martial arts, this one most often comes with a “kick.”
D Mixed Martial Arts
6. In this sport, blind athletes track the ball by listening for jingle bells—embedded in the ball.
C Table Tennis
7. Only five sports have been played in every modern summer Olympics—including these two.
8. This Paralympic court sport gets its name from the Latin word for “boss.”
9. This was once an Olympic sport.
D All of the Above
Answer Key: 1. A and C, 2. D, 3. B, 4. C, 5. C, 6. B, 7. B and D, 8. A, 9. D.